Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thanksgiving upon us.


Thanksgiving is upon us and friends and relatives are here, with more coming our way. The dust is falling heavily upon all of the plant life here in the desert and what was previously rich and green, is drying and preparing for winter, and sowing her seeds. The night skies are luminous and clear, begging investigation. It's the time of year to give thanks and dig deeper into ours souls to exude the riches that we've gathered throughout the year.


I am learning about the cycles of the desert and appreciating what each one holds. It has a "come hither" temptuous call, yet, it takes tremendous fortitude to live here as it can be extremely inhospitable. Kind of like the " I love you, go away..." approach to life. I watch the lizards, birds and bugs and see that they take whatever, however they can. They burrow into anything and everything for shelter from both the heat and the chill - this includes my outdoor hacienda table, swinging bench and whatever trash has flown out of the garbage can during a strong wind.


I put a little bench out by my fire pit in the backyard a few days ago and within 24 hours, critters had claimed it as their own. Little blue lizards scattered & scampered as I lifted the the plank to check for spiders, as to not receive any "unexpected visitors" in my drawers while meditating the day, in front of my pit!


I am truly thankful for our home, the lessons and the incredible, open, open space.



1 comment:

gottago said...

You paint a very clear picture with your description of home.

I can't wait to come visit.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and Dan.

Love,

Linda